Apply for a Career with BJISG
To apply for a position at Bone & Joint Institute of South Georgia or Surgery Center of BJI, please submit your resumé along with the position you are applying for. Once we have reviewed your resume and if we feel your qualifications meet our needs, we will email you a response with an application.
We recommend including more information in your application to make sure we get a complete picture of your qualifications.
Because of the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond individually to each one. However, we do try to provide you with status updates, as they are available.
If you are selected for an interview, a manager will contact you. You may be asked to participate in more than one interview.
Surgical First Assistant:
Surgical First Assistants provide aid in exposure, hemostasis, closure, and other intraoperative technical functions that help the surgeon carry out a safe operation with optimal results for the patient. In addition to intraoperative duties, the surgical assistant also performs preoperative and postoperative duties to better facilitate proper patient care. The surgical assistant performs these functions during the operation under the direction and supervision of the surgeon and in accordance with hospital policy and appropriate laws and regulations.
- Direct and indirect care of patients based on the established standard set by the surgeon.
- Collaborate with the surgeon in performing operative procedures in a safe manner with optimal outcomes.
- Collaborate with OR staff to ensure that all instrumentation, implants, supplies and equipment are available for every surgery.
- Positions patients to give the best exposure for surgical procedure using appropriate equipment and supplies to maximize patient comfort and safety.
- Provides visualization of the operative site using proper technique to include but not limited to manipulation of tissues, retraction, sponging, suction, and irrigation.
- Utilizes appropriate technique to achieve temporary and permanent hemostasis utilizing tourniquets, bovie, etc.
- The SA will be competent in closure of body planes, application of wound dressings as well as securing drains.
- RNFA, CSFA, CSA, LSA, SA-C or equivalent
- One to two years of First Assistant experience preferred.
- Experience in Orthopedics and Spine preferred
The surgical technologist handles the instruments, supplies, and equipment necessary during the surgical procedure. He/she has an understanding of the procedure being performed and anticipates the needs of the surgeon. He/she has the necessary knowledge and ability to ensure quality patient care during the operative procedure and is constantly on vigil for maintenance of the sterile field. He/she will have knowledge of sterile processing and instrument care and handling.
- Checks supplies and equipment needed for surgical procedure.
- Scrubs, gowns and gloves.
- Sets up sterile table with instruments, supplies, equipment, and Medications/solutions needed for procedure.
- Performs appropriate counts with circulator prior to the operation and before incision is closed.
- Gowns and gloves surgeon and assistants.
- Helps in draping sterile field.
- Passes instruments, etc., to surgeon during procedure.
- Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during procedure.
- Prepares sterile dressings.
- Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization.
- Assists other members of team with terminal cleaning of room.
- Assists in prepping room for the next patient.
- Obtains appropriate sterile and unsterile items needed for procedure.
- Opens sterile supplies.
- Checks patient’s chart, identifies patient, verifies surgery to be performed with consent forms, and brings patient to assigned operating room.
- Transfers patient to operating room table.
- Assesses comfort and safety measures and provides verbal and tactile reassurance to the patient.
- Anticipates additional supplies needed during the procedure.
- Performs other tasks and duties as required or requested.
- One to two years operating room experience preferred.
- Orthopaedic experience preferred.
- Sterile processing experience a plus.