J. Lex Kenerly on UGA’s Alumni Association Board of Directors
September 3, 2015 – JESUP, GA – Jesup native Dr. J. Lex Kenerly III has been named to the University of Georgia Alumni Association Board of Directors. His three-year term began on July 1.
Kenerly graduated from UGA in 1978 and went on to earn his Doctor of Medicine from the Medical College of Georgia. Today, he is president of and an orthopedic surgeon at the Bone and Joint Institute of South Georgia, an orthopedic surgery practice and ambulatory center with more than 50 employees. Last year, the business made UGA’s Bulldog 100 list of fastest-growing businesses owned or operated by alumni.
“I am so honored to serve on the UGA Alumni Association Board of Directors and am committed to making a difference. One of my personal goals is to improve the relationship between alumni and the university. I just love it,” said Kenerly. “Being back on campus and being a part of progress is great. I have enjoyed getting to know the other board members and look forward to great things over the next three years.”
Kenerly is a member of the Liberty, Ware and Wayne County chambers of commerce and attends First Baptist Church in Jesup. He is the team physician at Wayne County High School and a member of the Wayne County Touchdown Club.
“We are thrilled to have Lex join our board of directors,” said Meredith Gurley Johnson, executive director of alumni relations. “He is an extremely passionate graduate with extensive ties to campus. He will bring great insight and energy to this group that guides the direction of the university’s alumni association.”
Kenerly’s wife, Joy Bland Kenerly, was a UGA Majorette who twirled at three Sugar Bowls and the 1980 National Championship. Their oldest child, John Lex Kenerly IV, graduated in May with a Master of Accountancy from UGA’s Terry College of Business. Their oldest daughter, Adeline Bland Kenerly, is a UGA Majorette in her fourth year, majoring in digital and broadcast journalism. Their second-oldest daughter, Marjorie Jameson Kenerly, is a third-year Feature Twirler and in the Honors Program. Kenerly and his wife attend every UGA home football game to watch their daughters on the field.
“I have enjoyed being back on campus as a father, walking around and showing my children about my old stomping grounds,” said Kenerly. “My experience at UGA … prepared me well. Go Dawgs!”
The UGA Alumni Association has offices in Athens, and Atlanta, and supports the academic excellence, best interests and traditions of Georgia’s flagship university and the more than 288,000 UGA alumni around the world. Its board of directors meets throughout the year and assists in the execution of that mission.
In addition to Kenerly, the following individuals are also beginning their terms on the UGA Alumni Association Board of Directors:
- Jody Corry; vice president and corporate counsel, Athens Regional Health Services; Athens, Georgia
- April Crow; senior director of environment and sustainability, The Coca-Cola Company; Atlanta
- Yvette Daniels; director of health promotion, Georgia Department of Public Health; Stone Mountain, Georgia
- Lex Kenerly; orthopedic surgeon, Bone & Joint Institute of South Georgia; Jesup, Georgia
- Audrey Lewis; president, UGA Graduate Student Association, Athens, Georgia
- Luther Lockwood; managing principal, MBL Advisors, Inc.; Charlotte, North Carolina
- Lyddy O’Brien; president, UGA Student Alumni Council; Athens, Georgia
- Johnelle Simpson; president, UGA Student Government Association, Athens, Georgia
- Robbin Conklin Steed; vice president of community relations and sales marketing, The Networks of 11Alive; Sharpsburg, Georgia
- Robert Watts; law clerk for Judge Steve C. Jones, U.S. District Court-Northern District of Georgia; Atlanta
- Lee Zell; account executive, Turner Sports; Atlanta
The UGA Alumni Association
The UGA Alumni Association proudly supports the academic excellence, best interests and traditions of Georgia’s flagship university and its more than 288,000 alumni worldwide. For more information, see www.alumni.uga.edu.